Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lots and lots of water...color; watercolor art!

A new chapter opens the way to a new endeavor: watercolor.

This semester at college I decided to try my hand at watercolor. I have always loved, admired and impressed by watercolor as a stand alone and with mix medium. Now, I have challenge myself
to do it and loving every minute of it. I can't seem to stop doing it.

My instruct has decided to try something different this semester as well. For the first time she is having student maintain a journal. We are required to do at two watercolor journal entry per week in addition to any class watercolor assignments. Below is a collection of both course assignments and watercolor journal entries that have come out well. The journal entries are a wonderful way to try different watercolor techniques, styles and to experiment with different mediums and tools in additional to using watercolor.

There will be others that will also be scanned and uploaded at a later time. I hope you will enjoy these chosen few below in the meantime.

This first entry into my journal (although not my journal project; I had ordered one in the mail and it had not arrived before school begun so I have some that are done on paper as journal entry so I would not behind in weekly assignments since two a week needed to be done) one is "Aqua-Lad". It is fan art from a Saturday morning cartoon known as Young Justice League that I watch with my children. It is a good show. I just felt like doing him.


This is a journal entry of my most recent assignment: Expressive work. The concept behind the work is a storyline I am developing loosing based on a real life legend and little bit of science. 



One more addition to my journal, "The Horse". It was a watercolor I did of a horse I had seen which is actually the midterm assignment; to do a watercolor from observation and not from a photo or imagination but an actual observation. This lovely stallion is one.

Another observation, this one was very easy, it was an observation done right in my own yard and from my window (for obvious reason; don't wanna scare the little bird away before I can get em' painted ha ha). Hence, the quick light work. Not my favorite but I am still proud of the accomplishment to do a live Sparrow on the fly.

This was also an observation (midterm piece; only one is required but like I said, I do love to create). This one was done while I was sitting in the bleachers while waiting for my son as he and his team were  training for Cross Country track. My son is not a member of the cross country team; he and his coach wanted him to train during this time of year to prepare for indoor track season that will begin in a 
few months. I did early because I was going to miss class due to a surgical procedure I would be having done that day in two weeks when it would be due.

This journal entry was done this week after having the same above surgical procedure done; it has to be  done twice (once on one side of repeated in two weeks on the other side of my body). Doing this kept my mind of the pain, boredom and limitations of movement once I got home. It fan art of an animation show I like called, "Moribito: Guardian of the Sea" The character seen here is named, "Balsa" she is a bodyguard to a young prince who is the guardian of the sea (egg) inside him. I highly recommend watching it. It is free on Hulu or Crackle website.

This was just a quick sketch done in watercolor of my son while he was playing a computer game (minus the PC I didn't want to attempt to include) just him and his frustration of some of the people he was playing with that were not exercising the best judgement during the game.

This is a a piece of work I am very, very proud. It is a recreation of a photograph I had taken of a fellow classmate who agree to be a model when I was doing studio photography some years ago.

This is a WIP (work-in-progress) watercolor of still life. I was experimenting with a technique that involved the use of plastic wrap to give the leaves a more realistic texture and look but did not only did come out successful but also bleed the colors. Hence, WIP, I will be trying to find a way to finish it and fix the bleed; possibly by creating a direction of a light source and changing the bleed into a cast shadow. Let see if it work. Stay tuned.

This is the still life I did for a class assignment. I have this free standing character (holding the paint brush) who is a character from a show my sons use to watch when they were very young. I put a paint brush in his hand, setup a small easel in front of him with a small picture that was a insert included in the packaging for the movie, "Aliens vs Cowboys"; its like a mini poster. As he is working, the cowboys (upper half not seen in the watercolor) is looking down at the alien that character (Number Four from Kids Next Door) is not paying attention to as he looks at his pretend work of art. I should also point out for legal reason, I do not own the license or copyright to both Alien vs Cowboys, Number Four or Kids Next Door. They were just the still life (require three items) I used 
for my class assignment.

this last post is an this week in-class assignment: Expressive work. It was inspired by another drawing I had did to accompany a poem I had written in a separate journal I keep.


No comments: